Breakthrough Artist of February 2012: Lana Del Rey



Lana Del Rey grew up in Lake Placid on the outer edges of New York State. Herein some of her unique musical flavour was incubated. "It has an epic, nostalgic feel. It’s in the middle of a National Park, But it’s also a struggle because it’s a town built on tourism that no-one goes to anymore." At 18 she fulfilled her lifelong ambition of decamping to New York City. "Since I was little knew I would end up there.’ I like everything about it. New York totally rewards me for my love of it"

Lana’s songs came out of a mixture of her love for David Lynch, Black & White 50s movies, Coney Island, Hip-Hop and heartbreak. "There’s something beautiful about the fight. About any fight," explains Lana. "I'm talking epic, knocked-down, dragged out, love stories in song. That's what I'm heading towards."

Her debut single, "Video Games", reaching number one in Germany and top ten positions in Austria, Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands, France, Switzerland, and United Kingdom. She performed the song on Saturday Night Live on January 14, 2012. The follow-up single "Born To Die" was released on December 30, 2011. Her album "Born to Die" was released on January 30, 2012.



Comments

Popular Posts